Saturday, April 15, 2017

Lord Make Me a Mary

Yes that is a fever blister. Yes I am on the floor of the bathroom. And if you look closely you will see my Superman socks (or Fred's.)

I am laying in bed in our hotel room listening to all the little noises that five other sleeping people are making and smiling to myself. Today was just a good day. Not the normal go through the motions day, but a really good day and all I can think about is how thankful I am in this moment. I realize that all days will not be like this one and I am also aware that there have been many not so good ones that have came and went leading up to a day like this. In fact, had it not been for all of those "just get me through Lord" kinda days I doubt that this simple ordinary really good day would mean so much to me.
I moved to the bathroom floor, made me a little pallet and set up camp, because these thoughts are the kind that need to make it to paper lest sleep lull them away and I might miss an opportunity to write to my Father. He is the author of this day after all and He is the one I cannot seem to get off my mind.
Lord I want to meet you every morning. I want to rise before dawn and seek you as though my very life depended on it. Lord make me a Mary.
One of the most beautiful parts of the resurrection story is not necessarily spelled out for us in scripture, but my heart longs to imagine the Mary Magdalene before she left her home this special Easter morning. Had the "Mary's" planned to meet at a certain time much like two special friends do for an early walk? Had Mary awoke that morning and felt a stirring within her soul? Was there something that perhaps attempted to detain her or keep her from going? What did they talk about on their way? Perhaps they did not speak, perhaps their hearts were heavy or maybe they prayed while making their way to the burial sight of their Lord.
Of course I do not know the answers to those questions, but there is one very glaring truth in these four verses that deeply challenges me.
"Now after the sabbath toward the dawn of the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the tomb" Matt 28:1.
"And very early on the first day of the week, when the sun had risen, they went to the tomb" Mark 16:2.
"But on the first day of the week at early dawn they went to the tomb with the spices they had prepared." Luke 24:1
"Now in the first day of the week Mary Magdalene came to the tomb early, while it was still dark" John 20:1
There seems to be an underlying theme here. The very first chance these woman have to go to their Lord they do not hesitate. There is no chore more important, there are no emails that must be checked first, and there is no need to scroll through the latest updates on social media before heading out the door. There was one thing and one thing only their eyes were set before, JESUS. Lord make me a Mary.
From what we read in scripture it does not appear that Mary is planning on meeting the Resurrected savior on her journey. In fact this is something that makes this encounter in scripture so beautiful. Surely many of us might awake before dawn to see the resurrected king, but this dear sister was simply planning to anoint a dead mans body with spices. Why would she do this? I get chills when I think about Mary Magdalene's past. Do you remember? Jesus healed her of seven demons in Luke 8:2. Seven. When the Lord heals it is not so easily forgotten.
Or is it? Sisters in Christ and men, bless your hearts if you read my writings, we serve a risen Lord! He has been out of that grave for as long as anyone reading this post has been alive and how often do we forget? How often do we forget the mess of sin Jesus has healed from our lives and how often do we forget that He Is Alive. Alive! We can meet Him anywhere and anytime.
I take it for granted, do you? So many mornings I press the snooze button only to leave myself just enough time to rush the kids out the door. I often set aside quiet time only to have it easily replaced with a "must get done," failing to remember that the very one my life depends on often gets my left overs. At times I am guilty of living as though He is still in that grave and unable to handle the mess I have made of my day. Or on days like today it is easy to think I have everything under control.
Lord make me a Mary! I want a heart that never forgets. I want a heart that seeks you first every day of my life; in times of struggle and in times of great joy. I want to meet up with my friends (perhaps named Mary as well) and come to you sharing our stories of healing and praising you all the day. Make me a Mary.
Did I mention that today was just a really good day. Well it is Good Friday or at least is was when I started writing, it is also my sweet son Bears 9th Birthday, but especially we are only two days away from the best day ever. Our family began a tradition 5 years ago that has become my most favorite of all traditions and I wanted to share it with you. Easter morning we wake all of our children up just before sunrise and lay on a quilt and watch the sun come up. Zach reads the story of the resurrection and we share communion together. When I first had this idea I do not remember everyone loving it as much as I had envisioned and even my husband seemed to rush through the whole process. Sleepy eyes and less than engaged hearts we continued anyway. But time has a way of drawing you close to the ones you love and the last couple of years this has meant so much to our family. Just today as we were driving down the road my husband begins talking about how excited he was for our Easter sunrise this year to which my daughter replies "this is going to be the best sunrise yet." I agree. Lord make us Mary's!




   
   

1 comment:

  1. You have me in tears! So blessed by this❤ And I too say "Lord make me a Mary." Love you! ~ Andrea

    ReplyDelete

Follow Us @jilldasher