Sunday, November 13, 2016

#

Dead Ends

I ignored several warnings.  It was not as if I was unaware of what I was doing.  In fact, I had been trained for crying out loud and yet somehow I convinced myself that the odds were in my favor and surely I could manage to circumvent chemistry.  "Just one more time," I told myself; let me just cover up this last job and then I will make the commitment to leaving it alone for a time to heal.  

Famous last words as I now sit staring at my new "bob" and by "bob" I mean my hair is so short I could easily be confused as a "Bob." No offense to you beauties who can totally pull off and look stunning in your short do I have just never quite had the face for it.  My poor hairdresser is an angel, literally I call her Gabriel of the hair realm, she comes to my rescue every time I take it upon myself to go from Gwen Stefani to Cher and then back again.  
     
It seems so simple.  Just cover the junk and life will go on, right?  Oh how I love metaphors, God you crack me up.  It would seem that my unfortunate hair situation is the perfect intro into the truth of what "dead ends" do to our lives.  Sin is much like my fried hair that was so dead it could not grow.  After layers upon layers of color and bleach it would appear to be growing at the roots but it would break off as quick as it would grow leaving my hair a hot mess of dead ends with no hope for a future in Pantene Pro-V hair modeling.  

I secretly knew that the damage was not going to be easily undone, but I just didn't quite have the guts to do what it would take to truly fix the mess I had made.  Much like the dead ends in our lives, we know that they are there and we often feel the tug at our heart to do something about them, but all too often we believe the convincing lie that simply covering them will fix our problems and prevent us from feeling pain.  I have learned the hard way that it is impossible to cover up something that is dead.  Death stinks, it deteriorates everything it touches, and will eventually leave our hearts and our manes lifeless and dull.  I hate to burst your bubble, but as a former hair dresser I must break some devastating news to you.  The all popular conditioning mask is a farce.  Sure it may leave your hair healthy and shiny for half a second, but one wash and those locks return right back to their previous state.  This is because the mask simply does what it says, "masks" the true condition of your hair and in no way gets to the root of your problem, no pun intended, ha.  Sorry slight rabbit trail, but the truth is the only way to heal your mane is to CUT THE DEAD OFF!  

What is dead in your life?  What is preventing you from growing and thriving?  What are you attempting to hold on to, but in the depths of your soul you know that The Spirit is calling you to let him cut it out.  Is it a toxic relationship perhaps?  One that you know does not glorify God, but you are afraid to give it up because you fear being alone.   Is it an addiction? Are you blinded by something that promises to fulfill you, but actually leaves you empty?  Perhaps it's something as simple as social media.  You find yourself in a constant state of comparison that you can no longer see the you that God specifically adores and created you to be.  Is is money, power, or significance?  We can easily find ourselves in the cycle of "when." When I get ________, or when I achieve _________, then I will be happy.  But all the while we are replacing genuine growth with a cheap counterfeit because we refuse to believe the promises of God.  

"But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.  If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth.  But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness." 1 John 1:7-9

I walked into the salon as I have hundreds of times before and with the exchange of a look and the flip of my hair there was no denying what was about to take place.  Do not miss this next line, because this is my disclaimer:  I replied to Stephanie (AKA: Gabriel) "It doesn't matter what we do, I already know that I am not going to like my hair short, so just do what has to be done."  Cutting dead ends out of your life is not fun and does not produce immediate results, at least not in my experience.    

We often must go through a period of healing, a "bob" phase.  In this phase we may not feel as confident or as loved or as "important," but it is one where the Holy Spirit is shaping you and molding you into a place where you no longer view the "bob" as your ugliest moment, but the moment in which you first began to live.  

For me it was the moment I decided to live in the light with the understanding that I may have to come back every four weeks to have this mess trimmed, but by golly I was ready to live in the phase of healing, short hair and all.  Teach me, show me, cleanse me, remake me, pull out everything dead within me Lord and allow me to submit myself to your authority.  Rid me of all pride, rid me of all fear, rid me of any desire to cover and Lord Jesus please do not let me get my hands on hair dye! 

P.S. In the few days since cutting the my dead ends off, my hair has grown more than it has in months, just saying;) 

        
      
   

1 comment:

  1. Powerful testiment that comes at, coincidentally, the perfect time for me. It was wonderful meeting you tonight...and btw... I like your 'bob'... it looks good on you!

    ReplyDelete

Follow Us @jilldasher