The Darkest Night of My Life

3:24 PM

       
   
     My entire existence hung in the balance as fear overtook the masses and confusion set in like a soft whisper in a pitch black cave. Echoing in every direction, refusing to find a resting place, and igniting deep emotion, deep regret, and deep despair.  The Darkest Night of My Life took place before one breath escaped from my lungs. It is as if everything that had seemed to be was no longer and everything that was thought to be known was but a question with no answer.  Was it all a dream?  Was any of it real?  Have I made a mistake?  Was I wrong?  Was he really…? What happens now?

And behold, the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom.  And the earth shook, and the rocks were split.  The tombs were opened.  And many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised, and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many.  When the centurion and those who were with him, keeping watch over Jesus, saw the earthquake and what took place, they were filled with awe and said, "Truly this was the Son of God!"(matt 27:51-54)
   
     It was as if time itself stood still as the magnitude of what just took place set in.  The Darkest Night of My Life would seal my fate forever.  Forever I would be lost.  Forever I would be a wonderer, a nomad, seeking and searching for purpose only to find myself in utter meaninglessness all the days of my life.  This King of Kings, my prophesied savior, the only one from whom hope could be found was now dead.  All hope was lost.  The true breath of life will now never escape from my lungs. Or would it?

Now after the Sabbath, toward dawn of the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the tomb.  And behold, there was a great earthquake, for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled back the stone and sat on it.  His presence was like lightning, and his clothing white as snow.  And for fear of him the guards trembled and became like dead men.  But the angel said to the women.  "Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified.  HE IS NOT HERE, FOR HE HAS RISEN, AS HE SAID.(matt 28:1-6)

The Darkest Night of My life and yours would end at sunrise.  At sunrise, what was thought to have been lost would be found.  At sunrise the shame that at times has consumed me would evaporate along with the dew.  At sunrise what death with all its might had tried to consume would forever be destroyed.  Do not live in darkness when the most beautiful sunrise you could ever imagine awaits you.  Come just as you are, broken, bruised, worn, fearful, unsure, and shamed.  Let the light of this glorious sunrise warm you, remake you, and resurrect you.  Just like Mary, run to meet Jesus as the sun begins to rise, He will greet you on the way.  See you at Sunrise!






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.