The Storm

1:47 PM

 


Grab your bible and open to Mark 4

   It is a real simple story, told in a mere seven verses.  Seven verses rocked my world much like it did that wooden boat thousands of years ago.  My boat seems to have been doing a whole lot of rocking lately.

"On that day, when evening came, He said to them, "Let us go over to the other side."Mark 4:35


When is the last time Jesus has told you to go to the other side?  Seriously, I am asking you to ask yourself this question.  When has He told you to go?  Not alone, but when has He grabbed your hand and said come with ME to the other side?

SPACE ALLOTTED FOR YOU TO REALLY THINK ABOUT THIS, REALLY THINK ABOUT IT. HAS HE TOLD YOU TO GO, ANYWHERE WITH HIM, EVER?

Bear with me through this post, there is a point or rather a purpose in this thought today and if you have made it this far then I think you are suppose to hear it (read it.) Now that you have contemplated the first question, ask yourself this one, Did you go?  If you are like me you can probably think of times when you have said yes as well as times that you have said no.  Today I want to talk about the times you have said yes.  However, if you are someone that has never said yes or maybe you believe that you have never been asked I will leave you with this thought.  "The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance." 2 Pet 3:9  He wants you to come.  He wants you in the boat with Him.  What keeps you from stepping in?  Seriously, what? Who?  Do not be afraid to be honest with yourself, no one can read your thoughts through the computer screen.  

"Leaving the crowd, they took Him (Jesus) along with them in the boat, just as He was; and other boats were with Him.  And there arose a fierce gale of wind, and the waves were breaking over the boat so much that the boat was already filling up.  Jesus himself was in the stern, asleep on the cushion; and they woke Him and said to Him, "Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?"" Mark 4:36-38.  

Do you think when Jesus got in the boat that He knew a storm was coming?  Thinking back to a time when you have gotten in the boat with Jesus have you ever experienced a storm?  Have you ever jumped in the boat with Jesus excited to take off only to find yourself in the midst of a storm, in the midst of worry, in the midst of fear, in the midst of criticism, in the midst of self doubt, in the midst of failure, in the midst of loneliness, in the midst of utter chaos and your first thought is to scream "JESUS!!!! WHERE ARE YOU!!!!!!! JESUS, I GOT IN THE BOAT!!!! I'M WITH YOU, DONT YOU REMEMBER, DONT YOU CARE!!!! I'M WITH YOU!!! WHERE ARE YOU???? WHY DO I FEEL LIKE THIS? WHY AM I EXPERIENCING THIS??? I AM DOING YOUR WORK! I AM SHARING YOUR WORD! WHY? WHY? WHY ARE YOU SLEEPING? I can just picture the disciples, I can just picture "myself" pacing back and forth questioning and pleading, wanting relief and wanting it immediately and the God of the Universe, the maker of heaven and earth, the sustainer of life itself comes on the scene and everything changes.

"And He got up and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, "HUSH, BE STILL. And the wind died down and it became perfectly calm.  And He said to them, "Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?"

WHY ARE YOU AFRAID??? DO YOU STILL HAVE NO FAITH???  Let me ask you again, did Jesus know the storm was coming?  You better believe He knew the storm was coming.  This storm was about to change their lives.  The storm was about to take everything that they thought they were afraid of and turn it upside down.  The storm was about to reveal their true weakness.  They were so convinced that the storm was the source of their fear.

"They became very much afraid and said to one another, "who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey Him?"

I am just imagining their faces, stunned, speechless, embarrassed, kicking themselves at how quickly their faith recoiled in fear.  I see myself.  I see how quickly I am to run to the stern of the boat, flapping my arms and shouting as if he is unaware.  All the while Jesus is in the boat with me saying, "Do not be afraid, this storm that you think is going to destroy you, is actually allowing you to see the very thing that will bring you peace, ME.   

 I have no clue what your storms are.  I know that every storm I have ever been through has been painful.  I have had to see things in myself that I would rather not see, I have had to experience moments of pain that I would rather not experience, admit things that I would rather leave hidden, and walk through doors that I wanted to leave shut.  At times it may even seem that to have stayed on the shore would have been a better idea.  But I want you to read through this passage once again.

READ MARK 4:35-41 SERIOUSLY, READ IT! 

As you were reading and if you could watch it all take place, what comes to your mind as being the most memorable moment of that day?  For me it is crystal clear.  "HUSH, BE STILL" The storm is raging all around you and you feel as if it will over take you at any moment when suddenly you hear the words 

"HUSH, BE STILL" 

I do not want to miss that moment!!! I do not want to sit on the shore line and miss seeing the Glory of The Lord through the storm.  I want to get in that boat every time, rain or shine and allow God to produce a faith in me that I could never see from the shoreline.  GET IN THE BOAT.






You Might Also Like

1 comments

Powered by Blogger.