Friday, May 16, 2014

The House Project

    Building a house and building a home are two completely different things.  I have come to understand that brick and mortar are just that, brick and mortar.  However, the blessed souls that spend time under your roof is what makes a home, it is what brings life and joy into your walls.  The people you surround yourself with and the lovely folks that sit around your table will be with you long after the "new home smell" fades and the tile that you had once thought was beautiful has now become outdated.  This is really good news to me, but I will explain that later.
    I first began designing this house several years ago. I had a notebook busting from the seams with magazine tear outs, drawings, pictures, etc.  It was a hot mess, but hey, I'm a hot mess the majority of the time myself.  I searched through every house plan known to man, I promise you I have seen them all, and couldn't find one that felt right for our family.  Sooo, I hit floorplanner.com and gave it a whirl.  When I finally met with an actual architect I'm sure that he found my drawings quite humorous, but it was a start. After months and months of planning, rearranging, getting bids, preparing the land, & a never ending list of "must haves" before you can so much as hammer one nail into your first 2x4 we dove head first into the building process. 
     I'd love to give you all the play by play of the countless boards I painted or that time I nearly cut my finger off spray painting tin squares for my dining room ceiling, but I think I'll skip right through the "process" and get straight to the goods.

               Some Exterior Shots
The stained glass windows were not in my original plan, but thanks to an unbelievably fabulous lady (aka Donna) the decorator/all things house, they are one of my favorite things about my home.
Sorry for the blurriness, it was raining.

How many cedar shakes do you think are up there??? Well, the dasher family kids and all painted every last one of those suckers.

Yes there is a sticker on my window, happens to be on the outside. I am still contemplating risking my life to get it off. Drives me crazy!!!

I love this shot because I love this tree, makes me happy.


After going back and forth between shingles or tin I am so glad that we went with the tin roof.  Please ignore the red solo cup in my front yard.  Oh, just keeping it real y'all;) 

These Dutch Door beauties are super fun with their little peep holes. I kinda feel like the munchkin from the wizard of oz when I peek through that thing.
There is no place I would rather be on a rainy night than this front porch.

This is most likely where you would find me any given time of the day. There goes another cup, good grief, this is becoming a habit.


Daylight views behind my favorite tree
Let's take it to the back yard. Another one of my favorite trees. 



Now if it happens to be cold and rainy...

I love entertaining & having people in my home, that's what this place is all about. Many of praise sessions have taken place on this porch. 

If it's not snowing, sleeting, or tornado weather then the kids are eating outside.



If you could only see behind these doors?? So I don't have a super neat, clean, & organized garage. Never will!!


Let's take a look inside...
When you come through my front door.

 That light fixture was a snag from Pottery Barn. I got it on clearance, YAY!!


Love the back side of my Dutch Doors. Watered down paint to get this fabulous stained look.

Had to get an up close of one of my favorites. This beam came from an old cotton warehouse. It's oozing with character.

Did I mention that I love entertaining, and I also love for everyone to have a place to sit around my table. You will find that I designed this house to have a super open floor plan giving me lots of room and options to rearrange furniture as needed or to add an extra table if need be.  There's that famous dining room ceiling that nearly cost me my finger.

coffee time


This piece of furniture is very special to me.  My Grandmother passed this down to me after spending many years in her home holding her china which she actually used at every meal.  I love you Grandmother!  

These beauties use to belong to a dining room table that I actually turned into a coffee table pictured on my back porch.  This was my parents first dining room set and I couldn't bear to let it go so I added a little paint to the once Cream stained chairs and child proofed them by recovering the seat with a fabulous vinyl (yes vinyl) material from Hobby Lobby.  Spill proof equals happy Momma!

Need a center piece, oh just grab some galvanized buckets and throw some peanuts in them.

This table matches that gym of a china cabinet that was also a gift from my Grandmother.  If I only knew how many meals had been served around this beauty.  My cousins and I have shared thousands of laughs in these very seats.  I soak up every bit of family time spent in these chairs.

If you are wondering about my floors I suppose now is the time to tell you that these floors are the best decision I ever made hands down.  They are not stained concrete.  They are simply buffed and sealed concrete and they show absolutely no dirt.  On any given week we have lots of people, including kids, in and out of our home.  This Mom has no time to be fretting over smudged floors.  Make no mistake, my floors are never clean, but you'd never know it.  Score!   

The Island and my new favorite beverage server.  I decided to go with Quartz for my countertops, low maintenance and stunning that can withstand a good beating.


The best part about my kitchen is the gospel symbols that I "sharpied" onto the tile above my range.  It's a little hard to see from this picture, but it brings me great peace to be reminded everyday that Jesus saves.

Where it all goes down
So right behind this curtain is the school room.  I contemplated on putting a door here, but did not want to loose the openness so I opted for some cute curtains to allow for privacy and some separation from the rest of this crazy house.

My new best friend, the double dishwasher. 



Fell in love with these vintage feel knobs from Hobby Lobby.

AHHH! The farmhouse sink, it can hold so many dishes which means I can out off doing them longer.  I cleaned my sink out just so I could take this picture;)

I like to call this area the hang out.  Friends and family can hang around in the kitchen and be a part of the whole cooking experience from the comforts of this cozy spot.  


coziness
view from inside the fireplace.  Yes I got my pants dirty.

This fan is one of my favorite light fixtures adding just the right amount of femininity with a rustic edge.
This is the main shebang, where it all happens.  I was so nervous when I chose this yellow, but when I saw it finished I was instantly in love.  Please excuse the wires you see hanging, we are in the midst of getting surround sound put in.

A little closer look.  This rug makes this room and although I am the queen of cheap and all things "on Sale" investing in a good rug for your main room is never a bad idea.  Zach may or may not have agreed with me on that one.
If you spend too much on the rug, just by a cheap old coffee table and slab some paint on it.  Priceless.
Add caption
I have never been a matchy matchy person, so for that reason you will see all kinds of pillows around my house.  Some match, some don't, but I like them anyway.
This fireplace was an ordeal and a half let me tell you, but I can assure you that it will be standing long after the rest of the house is not.  



Love these doors which open into the library.  These babies were from an old house in New Orleans, talk about a find.   


Just in case you missed the first two pics.  I love these doors!
Sneak peak of the library.  Zach's desk is a mess and guess who refused to clean it up.  Made that mistake before and our water got turned off because I threw away the bill, oops. 
School Time!!

These lockers have been a life saver on many occasions.  They are perfect for throwing junk and all sorts of whatnots in when surprise guest stop by.  


I am in love with all things vintage, including this fan by Minka Aire 
I spy a half bath, right off from the school room to help minimize the distractions.
This vanity is probably one of my favorites in the house.  




OK, your going to see the bare minimum of my laundry room, because it is my least favorite room in the house and I hate laundry!!  I thought by making this room cute I might want to spend some time in here, plan didn't work!!

With four boys in the house it definitely helps to have a sink in the laundry room.


These adorable light fixtures were super cheap from Lowes and I only wish I would have discovered them earlier , because I would have used them in lots of other places.  



Because everyone should have an Elephant hanging over their bed.  Roll Tide.
My room.  Well and Zach's
Master bath

From the second I saw this tub on the showroom floor I knew that it was the one I  wanted.  Sleek, simple, and super easy to clean.  I have had jets in the past and grew tired of cleaning out each one so I opted out of them this go around.  


Several of my light fixtures I purchased from Paul Michael.  This is one of them.  It was originally a rustic brown, but I dry brushed a little turquoise on top and it did wonders for this little piece.   

The Edison light bulb really allows for a relaxing glow.
What better to serve as a vanity than an old sewing machine table.

Her Sink

His Sink

You will see lots of old doors throughout my house.  These doors are not just random doors that I found here and there, they are from my husbands Grandmothers house that had to be eventually torn down due to severe flood damage.  Granny lived right next to Phil and Kay down on the river.  They certainly don't make em like they use too.  

It's sad, but I have showered probably a total of three times in this shower since moving in.  I'm a bath girl.

An old yard sale find turned into one of my favorite accent pieces. 

The guest room, a work in progress, and two more of those beautiful "Granny" doors.  In several of the bedrooms I chose to do wood walls three fourths of the way up and then sheet rock the rest.  Just adds a little extra dimension and character.  Also it makes for less decorating, because the walls speak for themselves.

Me and the kids made this lovely banner out of some burlap and cute scrapbook paper .



This is also one of my favorite vanities, well I guess I love them all.  This one came from Paul Michael company and it has the perfect feel for a guest room.

That mirror was found separately, but when I saw it I knew that it was meant to be with this little gym.

Exposed plumbing, I'm so ok with that.

I have a slight fetish with "cute soaps."  TJMaxx is the best place to go and find inexpensive wonderful smelling and wonderful looking soap dispensers that just add a little extra to all your bathrooms.

The "girl" room.  I let my daughter pretty much have full rein (within reason) when it came to her room.  Chandelier was at the top of her list.  I'm pleased.  

double closets in all of the kids rooms is a tremendous help



I was so excited to find this fabric, I think it hits on any color a girl might potentially want to have in her future.

Yes, all of my vanities are my favorite.

Somebody needs to clean out under their vanity???  I really missed all of this as I was shooting these pics.



This was the first thing I did when we moved into this house.  It is freehanded and not so perfect, but it is perfect for us.  With four kids running around I was confident that I wanted a curved staircase for safety purposes.  It has come in handy on more than one occasion.    

Boys Dorm.
My boys love to romp and wrestle and so they needed lots of floor space for their adventures.  The built in bunks not only allow for storage without the need for a dresser or additional furniture, but also give them the full use of their floor.  Carpet was a must upstairs (although I am not a carpet fan)  anything to help drown out their "craziness" helps.



The boys have the best view in the house!  There goes that sticker again.

Keeping it simple and sweet for these boys of mine.  



Tin ceiling in the boys bath



The Dasher Family Home
     Well there you have it, the House Project.  I mentioned at the beginning of this post that I have come to realize that truly what I love most about this house is the people that I share it with and those who enter to share a meal and a laugh or two.  The reason this is really good news is because this house, which I have loved dearly, is going on the market today. WHAT???  Yep, it is for sale folks.  Now as to the why, weeeell, thats a different story for a different day, but I promise to keep you posted.  

If you are interested in the purchase of this home here are a few specs:
-3701 heated square feet with the potential for much expansion
- 4 bedrooms and 4 1/2 baths
- office
- kid hang out/ school room
-located on 20 beautiful acres

Message me if you are interested;)

Love to you all,
Jil





3 comments:

  1. Jil, the home is gorgeous!! At least you can take all of those vintage beautiful treasures with you when you move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE YOUR home Jil! I sent you a pm in Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous! Can you come help me decorate mine?

    ReplyDelete

Follow Us @jilldasher