Saturday, November 16, 2013

Are the Ducks Drunk??

     Let me start this off in a state of complete vulnerability.  Since the start of my husband's family fame several years ago I have been very careful not to "name drop" or blog about them in any form or fashion for several reasons.  If I am being honest, which I always strive to be, it would primarily be because of my pride.  I never wanted them to feel that I wanted something from them or that I wanted to use their name to boost my audience, but mainly I always wanted them to know that I loved them regardless of it all.  Fame or no fame there are members of the Robertson family who have had tremendous impact on my families life.  However, and I am fearful even writing this now, but in light of resent post and talk that I have heard over their decision to embark upon the wine business I am forced to break my silence.
     Through the continuing process of sanctification since becoming a christian in 1999 I have become increasingly obsessed with TRUTH, not doctrine, but truth.  So much so that if you know of any other way that makes since other than christianity I would like to know about it.  No joke, I do not want to believe anything simply because I would like for it to be true, or because it is convenient to my lifestyle, no!  I want to know what is true and I always and will always be open to that discussion.  With that being said I am deeply saddened at the hundreds of comments that I have read regarding the "boycotting" of the Robertson's and the mean spirited jabs that are coming from the mouths of those who claim to represent the Kingdom of God.
     The Robertson's along with every other famous person on this planet are human beings last time I checked.  They are not God, they are not omnipresent, they are not all knowing, but rather they are souls who have been given life by the almighty God.  Why we hold "humans" to such a high standard of unattainability, while we ourselves struggle within the walls of our own earthly flesh, I will never understand.  My opinion on their decision to enter into the wine business is absolutely irrelevant, but what I know for fact is that that decision is not a sin and they are not responsible for everyone who struggles with alcohol because they sell wine.  I find it hard to believe that we can completely throw out parts of the bible to make it consistent with our own line of thinking simply out of fear that someone might interpret scripture wrong or go to far.  The God who created all things did not put us on this planet and provide this amazing book to guide us into all truth simply to confuse us.  His word is very clear and the more that I read the more amazed I become at the nature of God.
     Drunkenness, yes, always wrong, along with sexual immorality, hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions, envy, orgies, and the like.  So, therefore, do we refrain from having sex within our marriage because it may lead us into immorality?  Do we disfellowship our neighbors when we become fearful that they might be tempted to struggle with jealousy, do we disown our children when they become angry, because that could possibly lead to "fits of rage."  Do we stop cooking enormous Thanksgiving feast, because we fear becoming a glutton?  If this is the route we as "Christians" believe to be the most benefitial then I am afraid the Robertson's are the least of our worries.  In fact, lets rip the TV's out, get rid of your guns, and never leave our homes, but something tells me there will always be an element of temptation lurking in some form or fashion.  Sin is sin and we should not be afraid to back down from the truths of what sin is and how it can destroy our lives, but making something out to be a sin because you are fearful that someone may abuse it or because you know someone who has is not what Jesus was in the business of doing.
     The alcohol is not making people drunk, people are.  The guns are not killing innocent victims, people are.  Sex is not the reason that 100's of thousands of babies are being aborted every year, people are. People that are believing a lie from Satan and thus he is able to wreck havoc through their lives in devastating ways.  I have read several comments such as this "think of all the people who will now take to drinking because Willie does."  To that I would say this: the very idea that we are looking to human beings for our standard of righteousness is a recipe for failure.  No man, aside from Jesus,  no matter how righteous, would be able to carry you into the realms of heaven on his back.  The answer is not to condemn Willie out of fear that he may disappoint the cause for Christ, we will all do that and are doing it every day as we battle our flesh.  Aside from Jesus Christ there is not a man worthy enough on this planet for us to use as a measure of righteousness.  So if we are going to be in the business of "boycotting" then it is my suggestion that we boycott the one whom all sin is derived from and who wants nothing more than to render us useless for the kingdom because we are too busy arguing over issues that have nothing to do with salvation.
      Like I said at the beginning, I want to know the TRUTH, whatever that may intel.  So, if I am wrong and you can show me where alcohol is a sin then I am always open for the discussion.  In the meantime, I pray for enduring strength for the Robertson family as they are likely to face many trials and persecution.  My prayer is that the power of the Holy Spirit will remain so very strong within them and throughout them that they will stand firm on this battle field. However, if they were to ever fall I hope that I am right there with open arms ready to help them back on their feet and I would hope that the Kingdom of God would do the same for me.



       


3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you wrote this. This very subject has been on my mind for the past few days, but I could not have spoken of it as eloquently as you did! I am so proud to be a member of the Robertson family! I have always loved my family, but I don't think I have lifted them in prayer as much as I should have. I stand with you in prayer for them, and the rest of us and just want to say thanks again for sharing so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete

Follow Us @jilldasher