Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I am the Woman at the Well


I had to repost this blog I wrote several months ago because I was once again reading one of my most favorite stories in the Good Book about the woman at the well.  Every time I read it I am completely drawn to this woman and what it must have been like to sit and chat with Jesus.  I can only imagine!!


     If you happen to pass by me on the road in my beloved minivan you may happen to also notice arms flying, hands raised, or kids shouting at the top of their lungs.  If you see any of these things you could be possibly witnessing my attempt to swat a leg while driving due to an unnecessary smart mouth comment or the kids yelling over each other to see who might win the award of my attention and therefore the answer to their oh so very important question, but hopefully you are witnessing the all out praise session going on as we sing along with one of our favorite bands "Casting Crowns." Praise music is an outlet for me and so therefore I have also made it one for my kids.  This post revolves around my most favorite song on Casting Crowns latest CD, which also happens to be the title of that CD, "The Well."  There have been so many mornings that I start my day with this song and it brings me to a place where I know that I am free and I know that I am loved, no matter what mistakes the day may bring.  Today I will share with you what this song means to me.  I hope this song can bring joy to your life as well.  My interpretation of "The Well," by Casting Crowns.

Leave it all behind,
Leave it all behind,
Leave it all behind,
Leave it all behind,
(leave the mess of what this day or life has brought you, drop your worries, release your fears)

I have what you need,
But you keep on searchin,
(we try so hard to fill the void in our life, we search and search through various means, yet somehow we come up empty.)

I've done all the work,
But you keep on workin,
(maybe if I'm good enough, important enough, wealthy enough, pretty enough, kind enough, strong enough, powerful enough, skinny enough, ........I will feel worthy)

When your running on empty,
And you can't find the remedy,
Just come to the well.
(when all your efforts seem futile, when the race is to much to bear, and you can't make it another day, come to me. "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest Matt 11:28)

You can spend your whole life,
Chasin what's missing,
But that empty inside,
It just ain't gonna listen.
(So many of us do, myself included.  Sometimes I get caught up in searching my life's purpose or finding that "one thing" that will make my life or your life complete, (the perfect husband, wife, that child we've always wanted, the dream house, a car better than a minivan:-), your dream job, or that feeling of significance (what I do matters), this list could go on and on and on and on.  Ask yourself this, have any of you found that "one thing" that will sustain you? What I have found, instead, is that no matter what we may accomplish or the moment we finally get that "one thing" that we have wanted so badly eventually what always happens? We want more!

When nothing can satisfy,
And the world leaves you high and dry,
Just come to the well.
(So at the end of it all, when we still end up wanting more, where do we go?  We go to the one who can truly satisfy our thirst.  JESUS. 

Chorus:
And all who thirst will thirst no more,
And all who search will find what their souls long for,
The world will try, but it can never fill,
So leave it all behind, and come to the well.

So bring me your heart
No matter how broken,
Just come as you are,
Jesus did not come for those who claim to "have it all together."  He came for people like you and me who are sinners, broken, and at times have no idea what are place is in this life.  He came for those of us who are hurting and lost, sick and alone.  We are imperfect parents, imperfect wives and husbands, imperfect people that he loved enough to die for, even in our state of imperfection.  "While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:6  This verse is a powerful demonstration of God's love for us, even when at times we feel so unloveable.

When your last prayer is spoken,
Just rest in my arms a while,
You'll feel the change my child,
When you come to the well
(When I made the choice to be a follower of Jesus, when I confessed that he LIVED, DIED, and ROSE again for me and I buried the old "Jil" in the water of baptism and came up a new creation my life did not instantly become perfect and in no way is perfect now, but I was changed forever.  I will forever be changed by the realization that I do not have to be perfect, that I can't even begin to earn the gift that was given to me through the cross and that realization is a peace that I cannot put into words.  Days when motherhood is a little overwhelming or when I am in a "valley" in life I can remember that God will forever fill my thirst and more importantly my hope is not in anything that this world can provide.  It is the hope of being raised one day to a life that far exceeds any earthly pleasure.    

Chorus:
And all who thirst will thirst no more, 
And all who search will find what their souls long for,
The world will try, but it can never fill,
So leave it all behind, and come to the well.

Yeah
Leave it all behind

The world will try, but it can never fill...leave it all behind

And now that you're full,
of love beyond measure,
Your joy's gonna flow,
Like a stream in the desert,
Soon all the world will see that living water is found in me,
Cuz you came to the well.
(I can only imagine what the woman at the well must have been feeling when she met Jesus in John chapter 4.  Every time I read that story I picture myself at that well listening to the savior of the world.  My favorite part of that story is when the woman leaves behind her jar of water to run back to town to tell the people about who she met.  The very thing that she thought she needed was no longer important once she met Jesus.  Once I met Jesus it completely changed what I viewed to be important, but everyday since and probably until the day I die satan wants me to believe otherwise.  He wants me to base my importance on what this world deems important, he wants me to carry that jug of water everyday of my life and to be consumed by it, but I refuse. LEAVE IT ALL BEHIND.     

Chorus:
And all who thirst will thirst no more,
And all who search will find what their souls long for,
The world will try, but it can never fill,
So leave it all behind, and come to the well.
(The world will try to fill your voids, the world will tell you that you are not good enough, the world will throw at you many things, the world will thrive on your addictions (drugs, sex, alcohol, etc.)  But the world will never give you PEACE.  The world will never keep it's promises and the world can offer you nothing when it has reached it's end.  COME TO THE WELL!
"Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst.  Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."John 4:13
I'll have some of that please:-)

Leave it all behind, leave it all behind,...repeat

 Love and Joy to you this day!!
Jil


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful song to bring us to the feet of Jesus Christ that lives today! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Follow Us @jilldasher