"Arrows in the Hands of a Warrior"

12:47 PM


     So it has been a while since i've put the old pen to paper, but I had a moment a couple of nights ago that is totally worthy of a few words.  My youngest son Fred was up all night sick and so as you might guess, so was I.  The amazing thing is my husband never heard a sound, hmmm.  This next sentence may come as a shock to you but it was a night that I will cherish.  Every sleepless hour I will hold dear.  Apparently, when holding your son in your arms in the wee hours of the morning one is able to reflect on a whole slew of things.  As he lay helpless in my arms breathing heavily in an attempt to ward off the unending congestion I had one thought run through my mind.  How mind blowing is it that the God of the universe chose me to be the mother of someone so infinitely special.  This perfect being depending on me for his very survival, how in the heavens could I ever do justice in raising this precious soul that God has entrusted me with.  The next image that crossed my mind as it has a hundreds of times before was this...       
 
Here you see Nakia and Belinda, two of the orphans that I grew attached to while on my first trip to Haiti.  These smiles have filled my heart and I will never be the same.  It has been almost a year since I had to leave these sweet children behind.  The plane ride home was one that will forever be singed into my memory.  The first class seat that I somehow managed to occupy due to who knows what was no doubt coated with a trail of tears.  As I thought of them last night I couldn't help but wonder, Who will hold them when they are sick?  Who will comfort them from their nightmares and dry their tears when someone breaks their heart.  Who will tell them that they are beautiful and more importantly who will tell them of their creator.  The Almighty God who made them to do great things, how will they know Him?  I cried as I sat there rocking my precious Fred knowing that the love and hugs he has received already in his lifetime will far outweigh those that countless of orphans will ever know.
     Those that are close to me know that I have always dreamed of adopting one day.  When, how, if, where, is only in the hands of the Lord.  But this I know for sure, children are a gift, a masterpiece of the Almighty.  They don't come with instructions and they can make your life very difficult at times, but they also can bring a light into your world that is so warm, so bright, and so fulfilling.  I have also learned that being a mother is not simply giving birth to a child and in fact often times some of the greatest mothers are those who have never given birth.

Being a Mother means your life will change.

Being a Mother means you automatically become a nurse, counselor, driver, cook, teacher, etc!

Being a Mother means countless sleepless nights as you fret over a high fever or battle the dreaded stomach virus!

Being a Mother means you say No when "everyone else" is saying yes!

Being a Mother means you forgo your friendship with your child while they are young so that you can be assured it remains when they are grown.

Being a Mother means you withhold from giving them everything they want so that one day they will understand the value of what they have.

Being a Mother means you love their father with all your heart even when the world says to give up.

Being a Mother means that you show them Jesus everyday in everything you do.  Sunday mornings are just a bonus!

Being a mother is the greatest title I will ever know aside from being a Daughter of the Lord God Almighty.  As I awake to my four children in the morning (or however many may join our table) who may or may not be in the best of moods I will remember the gift.  The gift that I have been given and therefore must pass along to my children.  The very fact that I was so special, so unique, that the Lord of creation came to earth as a man leaving behind His throne on high, the most perfect place in all creation.  All in an effort to give me the hope of sharing in His glory one day.  That hope is worth it all.  That hope is the very thing that I place everything else in my life under.  It is because of that hope that I am compelled to give my children the very best of what I have to offer.  Thank you Lord for the gift of my four children and I praise you in advance for anyone else you may send our way!
"Jeri" (my heart)

This sweet angel called me "Mamma" the whole time we were visiting the orphanage.  Simply to be hugged and touched was a treat to these sweet babies.
Psalm 127:3-5 NIV 
Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate. 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Powered by Blogger.