Just a Car Ride...

8:08 AM

     I experienced a moment of shear panic in the car tonight as Zach and I began talking about the future of our children on a casual ride home from house church.  It hit me like a ton of bricks when he very nonchalantly mentioned that in four short years our 9 year old would be getting ready to start high school.  Had I been driving, no doubt, I would have done what any rational mother would do...Slam on the breaks, pull the car over, and get out as fast as possible, throw my hands up in the air, and go ahead and give God the slow down signal.  NO, not slow down...STOP!!!  I'm not ready, she's not ready, we are all not ready to send our daughters to high school!!!  Please, please, please, just let me exist in my own little world surrounded by sippie cups, car seats, and Mommy I love you's, shoot I'll even take a dirty diaper over the fear that invades my heart when I think of a time, not too far away, when each of my kids is going to be the one making the majority of the decisions that will shape their life and ultimately the person they grow up to be.  Call me crazy or maybe a control freak, but I just kind of like when the parents are in charge, it just feels safer that way.  So in the fifteen minutes it took us to get home these are the thoughts that raced through my mind.       

  • Have I taught her everything she needs to know about being a lady?
  • What about the boys that are going to tell her she's beautiful?
  • What about the things she might be exposed too, see, hear, etc...
  • what types of boys are going to tell her she's beautiful?
  • will she stand up for truth when no one else is?
  • will she be a leader for God or a follower for whatever is the easiest?
  • will she wear things because everyone else says there cool or will she be her own person?
  • will she find her value in the things she can do or the way that she looks or will she know that she is of infinite value because of the greatness of the one who created her?
  • will she remember that our love stretches to the heavens and be able to come to us in times of trouble
  • will she remember that this life is but a mist, but that for a short while she has the privilege of showing the love of Christ
Heavenly Father,
Almighty God, creator of Heaven and Earth... The Beginning and The End...I am in awe of Your glory and tremble at Your power.  In the name of Jesus I pray a blessing over my sweet children.  A blessing of wisdom, knowledge, and truth.  Give them wisdom  to see this life for exactly what it is.  A gift, a blessing, that they may soak up each and every moment they have to know You more.  That they may use that knowledge to praise You, to glorify You, and to share the wonders of who You are with everyone who crosses their paths.  I pray that in this short time that we are here on this planet that our family will realize that we are but a mist passing through.  That we will understand that our time is way to short to store up glory and praise for ourselves, but that everything good that comes from us will be all reflected to You, our mighty creator.  I pray that TRUTH is something that my children will value in every area of their life.  No matter the cause, no matter the circumstance, I pray that they will seek to follow whatever is TRUE.  That truth, I know, will always lead to You.  Though I know they will experience trials and though I know they will taste hurt, I pray that during those times they are reminded of your promise.  Your promise of an eternal home, of an everlasting joy, and a peace that surpasses all understanding to those who seek you with all their heart.  The reminder of this promise, I pray, will give them the courage to fight another day and to be the person that you have called them to be.  In the name of my savior, my defender, Jesus, amen.   

You see I know that there is no possible way to check off every concern on my "parent worry list" but what I do know is that I have someone who is rooting for me, who is interceding for me, who is offering up my prayers to a God who never grows weary.  He doesn't even mind if there a few years early, in fact, he prefers it that way:-)

"And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it" (John 14:13-14).

"This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us - whatever we ask - we know that we have what we asked of him" (1 John 5:14-15).

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:6-7).

"…The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective" (James 5:16).

"And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints" (Ephesians 6:18).

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express" (Romans 8:26).


You Might Also Like

1 comments

Powered by Blogger.