Sunday, May 6, 2012

Snow Cones and Fireflies!


“Tag-your it!”   

“1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10…ready or not hear I come”    

“Mom!!! Can I have a lemonade stand?”    

“miss Mary mack…mack…mack…all dressed…” 

“ring around the rosy, pocket full of posies…

“red rover, red rover, …”

     
     Even as I am typing these phrases that are so familiar to my childhood I am flooded with visual memories that do my heart a whole lot of good.  Being a kid in a loving home is truly an amazing experience, one that you so often do not appreciate until you are older, but nonetheless a cherished time in life when the world is in the palm of your hands. 

It saddens me to think that kids growing up in our day and age are missing out on this cherished time.  Instead they are being thrown head first into a society where “Peaches-n-cream Barbie” is out and “I’m dressed like I should be working on a corner” Barbie is in.  There is really no need to actually play out childhood fantasies like building a fort and then spending hours with guns in hand as you enact a full fledged war. No, instead, just sit in front of the television and play out these fantasies with the movement of a few fingers.  Or why should little girls play dress up in their mommies closets anymore when now with a simple app they can run there own boutiques carrying all the latest styles with as much money imaginable to spend in there store. 

This is not a post about why video games and TV are the downfall of our kids, even though I might be inclined to believe that, it is more about the childhood that our kids are missing out on.  Our kids are becoming so bombarded with virtual reality, that actual “reality” is no longer satisfying to them.

     I want more for my kids! I want them to chase fireflies and eat homemade snow cones.  There is nothing like staring at a jar of fireflies in the dark night; it’s a childhood must.  I want them to know what true hard work feels like and then how good it feels to get paid for it.  I want them to appreciate the clearness of a starry night and to giggle at the idea that they can cover up the moon with their thumb.  The feeling you get when your playing hide-n-seek with a group of friends and your just about to be found out; I want my kids to experience that.  I want my little girl to look at herself in the mirror and smile as she sees the creation that God has made in her, not to wonder what she could do to be prettier or more sufficient, like God’s handy work is not enough.  I want my three boys to hold the door open for that sweet little girl; all dressed in ribbons and bows and appreciate her beauty with redness in their cheeks, not to say “what a hottie.”

     I am peddling up stream here I know, against the grain and flow of our society, but I do not believe I am the only one who desires to travel up stream.  The culture will only continue to flow in a certain direction if we allow it to.  I propose let’s BRING BACK CHILDHOOD!!  Lets give our kids the opportunity to be little, to act little, to dress little, and to see God through there innocent eyes.  Lets not become so focused on giving our kids the very best that money can buy that we forget to give them what they need the most, our TIME.    
                         

“let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.  I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” Mark 10:14-1

Fun Family Idea:  Play hide-n-seek as a family in your home.  You’d be surprised how fun it is.  There is a kid inside us all!!  I’m still the best hider in my family!!!!

2 comments:

  1. amen! and well said! I was just telling my sister the other day how hard it is to buy gifts for kids anymore when they are getting ipods at 3!! but i have noticed that the simple toys sometimes are the biggest hits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see the "virtual reality childhood" theme played out daily where I work (email me, I'll tell you where). I totally agree our children need the gift of imagination and nature. I grew up with a jar of fireflies on my nightstand and tadpoles in a jar, but my grandmother made us practice "catch and release" before the conservationists championed the cause. Homemade snow cones? Best idea - EVER! All the trips we made to a local speciality shop to buy flavored syrups. Chores around the house? Kids grumbled about them, but they loved their earned money and opportunities to do more to increase their "paycheck." Keep up your momwork, Jil. You are raising decent human beings! (Best affirmation someone told me once.)

    ReplyDelete

Follow Us @jilldasher